- How is this achieved?
- What are its benefits?
- How do you know if a website is responsive?
- Adaptation in Internet
- Adaptation in our projects
Through a series of queries to the device, which prompt the browser the current resolution. So depending on the returned value, images, texts, menus or other sections, will be adapted to be legible , in order to facilitate the interaction with the web page..
- It will not be necessary to have different subdomains of our site, something highly beneficial to facilitate positioning and linkbuilding . Search engines are based on a canonical URL and any subdomain of this URL indexed it as a different website.
- Reduces maintenance costs because discards the tedious work of creating and maintaining different versions of the web adapted to most available media ( a version for iPhone , Desktop , tablets , smart TVs, etc … )
- It is a profitable investment. Obviously developing a website in “responsive” means working several layouts and that “extra work” can not be done for free, but visitors and conversions to your website will be worth it.
- The last, but perhaps the most important. Guarantees presence on mobile devices. Something that we can not ignore because this year is scheduled that connections from these devices, will exceed those made from desktop devices as shown in the graph below (and we suspect it will never be the other way around).
It’s easy! With your mobile phone! And if you have no battery, or do not have it on hand, or even you still go with a Nokia 3310 or don´t want to turn on your PC right now … there are other ways to test the usability of a web on other devices or sizes. For example, we love this service: quirktools.com/screenfly
It’s true that the “mobile boom” took us all a little by surprise and depending on the complexity of the project, the adaptation can be really expensive and complicated. Even brands and giant projects are yet to be converted.
For example, at the time of this writing, the official websites of Fnac, Zara, Dell and many others.
On our part our latest projects already use “responsive” design for example: OpticalH, Kiraya Bikes, Mefaldas Tú, Canarius, Artenerife,Náutica y Deportes, IslandShake, Liceo de Taoro or Distribuciones Canarias among others.
Also, this site “FreshCommerce V2” was developed in early 2014, mostly in order to be viewed properly on mobile and tablets interfaces.